What do our alumni say?

Check out  the videos below to hear what our alumni have to say about Belmont Abbey. For current students click here.

Annemarie Maimone
Year: Class of ’12
Major: English

Caramel Ferdinand
Year: Class of ’13
Major: Elementary Education
Minor: International Studies
Hometown: Cane Garden, St Vincent and the Grenadines

“Belmont Abbey became my home. It’s not an exaggeration to say that I found a whole new family there. And that didn’t disappear after graduation. I still think of the Abbey as a former home, and I still count as family the friends I made there. The Abbey surrounded me with a prayerful, loving and welcoming environment while providing me with an education that will take me through life. I couldn’t have asked for more from a college.”

Dan Guffey
Year: Class of ’10
Major: Business Management
Minor: Motorsports Management
Hometown: Charlotte, NC

“The things that the program (motorsports) and the school teach you from an all-encompassing perspective…pushes you to be well-rounded…it definitely helps you to wear those many hats, and be prepared to take on a full load.”

Leondra Pridgen
Year: Class of ’14
Major: Sports Management
Minors: Psychology & Business
Hometown: Mooresville, NC

“A lot of people lose that religious thought when they go off to college, I feel like here you don’t because there’s always people here to talk to, it (Belmont Abbey College) just helped me be more in touch with God.”

Mike Laheta
Year:  Class of ’12
Major: Business
Hometown: Broad view Heights, OH

“You weren’t just learning from the staff, which is a phenomenal experience, but you get to learn from industry, professionals, people who have done what you’re trying to do. Who have made a career of out this thing that you’re trying to persue.”

Jessica Brushaber
Year:  Class of ’14
Major: English
Hometown: Geer, SC

“This school dedicates so much to you that you just want to be invested in it.”

Timothy Gill

Year:  Class of ’14
Major: Education
Hometown: Boston, MA

“There’s just some kind of presence here.”

Carolina Weakland Warden
Year:  Class of ’14
Major: English
Hometown: Madison, WI

“I think that it’s a beautiful campus, that people kind of get enchanted by it when they come here. I think that the study body overall is just sort of happy to be here; and they enjoy the class settings that are smaller, and being able to have a more personal relationship with the teachers.”

Laura Lovelace
Year:  Class of ’05
Major: Psychology
Hometown: Lowell, NC

“There is a ton of opportunity. There are different clubs. There are different majors. There is different things to get involved in, in the community. So it’s exactly that: it’s what you make it.”

Reggie Polite
Year:  Class of ’14
Major: Accounting
Hometown: Charlotte, NC

“It’s not a big campus, you don’t get lost. You don’t feel like you’re lost or you’re just a number. You feel, you really feel part of Belmont Abbey.”

Jim Babb
Year:  Class of ’59
Major: Business
Hometown: Charlotte, NC

“I had a wonderful experience there, and I still cherish it everyday.”

Humphrey Wheeler
Year:  Class of ’56
Major: Education
Hometown: Belmont, NC

“I don’t think a number one college in the country is going to make you the greatest thing since sliced bread. You’re going to make yourself the next best thing after sliced bread, but you need to be at a place that brings the best out of you out, and I think Belmont Abbey is one of those places.”

Ed Antosek
Year:  Class of ’68
Major: Chemistry
Hometown: Salisbury, NC

“What struck me was their dedication to education.”

Melissa Sparr
Year:  Class of ’99
Major: Business
Hometown: Concord, NC

“You’re going to get an education but not just be a number or test on the information that you know, but actually get that small class with one on one time with the professor and the students in the class. So you’re not going to memorize that information–you’re going to learn it.”

Written Perspectives

PatrickMcHenryPatrick McHenry – Class of 1999
Major: History
Hometown: Gastonia, NC

“Had I not experienced the Abbey, I don’t think I would be in Congress today. I don’t think I would be as happy personally and have a fulfilled spirtual life and fulfilled personal life as I do without my Abbey education and training. It’s those monks that are on campus and those professors that gave me just a little bit more than I could have experienced at any other institution.”

dangDan Guffey – Class of 2010
Major: Motorsports Management

“Few schools offer such a specialized program that provides access to influential people within that industry. Belmont Abbey’s motorsports management program delivers the unique ability to not only learn the industry but also connect with industry professionals who frequented our classes as guest speakers. At the end of the day, opportunities are about people and relationships. Establishing those vital connections helps lead to a bright future.”

mikelahetaMike Laheta – Class of 2012

Major: Marketing

“Belmont Abbey truly exemplifies what it means to educate the whole person – mind, body and spirit – and I found opportunities and activities to support my learning, growth and development in all three areas. Having access to professors outside the classroom allowed me to explore areads of interest to me beyond the course curriculum. I think that is something that makes the Abbey unique.”

MosesMoses Stansberry – Class of 2013
Major: Business

“Marketing is an extremely competitive field but Belmont Abbey prepared me well. Career Services offered me an internship with the top media company in the world: Clear Channel Media. The week my internship ended, I was offered a paid position in the promotions department. Recently I was hired by Time Warner Cable Media to build marketing strategies for companies all over the US.”

DarrenBalkeyDarren Balkey – Class of 2014
Major: Criminal Justice

“My time spent at Belmont Abbey College enabled me to study under passionate professors. The Catholic intellectual tradition of the College and the hospitable example of the monks showed me how to see everything in the bigger picture, and to respond to my neighbors as Christ. Finally, living on campus occasioned a powerful formation alongside awesome peers.

The Criminal Justice program provided me with insight into some of the many troubles and consequences that lurk in the world. An internship with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department literally showed me how the rubber meets the road in a fast-paced, diverse, and noisy America. The tranquility of campus, contrasted by the rush of metropolitan policing, showed me volumes about how to reason through problems and serve with a purpose.

Six days after graduation, I was hired for a full-time position at a wilderness treatment center. My work allows me to bring Christ to adolescent males who have been adjudicated by the juvenile justice system of North Carolina. Every day has its stresses and challenges, but I sleep at night reassured that my efforts help to change lives and save souls. My time at the Abbey fostered an attitude of gratitude in me, and it has been a joy to apply that sentiment as a professional. Belmont Abbey College provided the opportunities and tools I needed to learn, grow, and serve.”

MichaelBeckerMichael Becker – Class of 2014
Major: Theology
Hometown: Raleigh, NC

“After spending four years at Belmont Abbey College it has become my home. There are so many memories that I have from my time at college ranging from volleyball or Frisbee in the quad, running to mass, or late nights studying or spending time with our Lord in the adoration chapel. Belmont Abbey, for such a small school, presents a wide variety of opportunities for its students to learn and grow. As a Theology major I had many opportunities to work at retreats and youth events, launching me into my career as a youth minister. BAC helped to introduce me to many of the priests and youth ministers of the Diocese and to make the contacts that I would need to get a job later in the future. However, the one aspect of Belmont Abbey which rises above the rest is the people. The friends, professors, monks, and alumni that I met there really made Belmont Abbey a special place to me and the relationships I built helped to form me into the man I am today. I love the Abbey and never for a moment regretted my decision to attend BAC.”

JessicaJessica Jasso – class of 2014
Major: Accounting
Hometown: Charlotte, NC

My four years at Belmont Abbey were years that helped me grow and learn, as an Accounting major and as a Christian. I am who I am today because of the people that I met and the experiences I encountered during college. My spiritual life had the biggest change. I was able to grow deeper in my faith and fall in love with God all over again. I was challenged by my peers, professors and the monks to take advantage of every opportunity that I had at the Abbey, including daily mass and confession and a beautiful adoration chapel outside my door. I was also able to find a career that I absolutely love and I am excited to continue developing skills and talents to help me succeed. The community at Belmont Abbey is like no other. I feel like Belmont Abbey draws certain types of personalities and I am so grateful for that because I have met some of my best friends there. You really become a family at the Abbey.

I am now an Accountant at Mel Jackson Tax & Accounting in Charlotte, NC, where I have worked for over a year. I started working here the summer before my senior year and then continued to work through the school year. By the end of 2014 I will be certified to file Federal Tax Returns; I am very excited! I plan on going back to school in the near future for my Masters in Accounting and then to get my CPA certification.”

JessiePic1

Jessie Brushaber – Class of 2014
Major: English
Hometown: Greenville, SC

“Belmont Abbey has bettered my life in countless, invaluable ways. With BAC’s excellent academics, vibrant enthusiasm for the Catholic faith, and especially the inspiring students and staff that fill its beautiful campus, I could not have picked a better place to earn my English degree.  I already miss the Abbey, my home-away-from-home, but at the same time I feel incredibly well prepared for life outside of college. Because of the small classroom sizes and professors’ genuine concern for each student’s well-being and success, gathering references for my job applications was simple. Indeed, one of the things I cherished most about the Abbey was the accessibility of the faculty and the personal relationships I formed with them. The very nature of the liberal arts education has made me a better-rounded person by strengthening my communication skills and fostering exploration of subjects outside my major. As I start my new job at a library headquarters, I will bring with me everything I have learned from both my classes and my friendships, and I could not be more grateful for the blessing of my years at Belmont Abbey.”

Michael Castillo – Class of 2014
Major: Sports Management
Hometown: Covina, CA

“I am originally from Covina, California and I made the decision to come clear across country to study business and sports management Belmont Abbey College. After my experience here, I can say confidently that my choice to attend the Abbey was the best I have made! The Abbey has helped shaped me into the person I am now. I have grown spiritually and have made friends that will last a lifetime. Also during my time at the Abbey I was able to pursue my passion for sports by taking an internship with the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets, owned by Michael Jordan. Overall Belmont Abbey was an amazing experience filled with unforgettable memories, countless learning moments, and spirit-filled people.”

Javy Valleya-Ayala
Year:  Class of ’14
Major: Accounting
Hometown: Dolores Hidalgo, Mexico

“I came to the Abbey because I wanted to be part of a school in which I could share the same beliefs with others.  The faith basis on this campus lays the ground work for faith and cultural diversity.  I feel completely welcome here.  I am encouraged to grow in mind, body, and spirit.”

Mary Whitfield – Class of 2014
Major:  English (Thomas More Scholar)
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

“I came to the Abbey because the professors provide not only academic assistance, but guide us to be better people, and to glorify God in everything that we do.  I wanted an authentic Catholic education and I am confident that I received that. We are encouraged to be our best selves.”

Bridget Franer – Class of 2014
Major: Sports Management (Hintemeyer Catholic Leadership Program)
Hometown: Fayetteville, OH

“Belmont Abbey has truly become a second home for me. After being homeschooled K-12, I was looking for a small school environment where I could play tennis and receive a liberal arts education while also growing in my Catholic faith. Through the Godly people I’ve had the great benefit of meeting here, whether it be friends, coaches, professors, or the monks, I’ve found a second family that has formed and prepared me for the rest of my life.”