PMhoriz

Today, Belmont Abbey College and alum Congressman Patrick McHenry announced the newest recipient of the Capitol & Carolina Internship with Belmont Abbey College, sophomore Joelle Tremblay of  Appleton, WI. This internship program, started in the summer of 2016 aims to provide Belmont Abbey students with the opportunity to intern in both McHenry’s Washington, DC and Gastonia offices.

“I’d like to congratulate Joelle on her selection for this year’s Capitol and Carolina Internship,” said Congressman McHenry. “My time at Belmont Abbey played a significant role in driving my interest in public policy and—more importantly—public service. I look forward to having Joelle in both my Washington and Gastonia offices so she can see firsthand the important work my staff and I do on behalf of the people of western North Carolina each day.”

Congressman McHenry and Belmont Abbey College award the Capitol & Carolina internship to one person each year. The selected student spends 13 weeks in Washington D.C from the end of May until early August. The congressman’s office provides a stipend to help defray the cost of living in Washington D.C. for the duration, and Belmont Abbey waives tuition for the internship. The selected student will then intern in McHenry’s Gastonia office for the fall term.

“I am inspired by Congressman Patrick McHenry’s vision of America, where the integrity of the family is a fundamental truth and an important factor in legislation. I am honored to have the opportunity to learn and be mentored from those who successfully advance these principles in the political world,” said Ms. Tremblay regarding the opportunity the Capitol & Carolinas Internship represents.  “Moreover, I have taken great interest in the moral and religious implications of public policy. I strongly believe that second to faith in God, traditional family values are the basis upon which a stable society grows.”

Dr. Joseph Wysocki Associate Professor of Government & Political Philosophy and faculty liaison for the Capitol & Carolinas Internship remarked, “Miss Tremblay has a solid record of community and campus service, and a solid academic background including relevant activities like being the captain of her high school’s mock trial team. I am confident Miss Trembley will make a valuable contribution to Congressman McHenry’s Office and an excellent representative of Belmont Abbey College.”

Interested students complete an application and essay which a panel made up of Belmont Abbey staff, and a representative from the Congressman’s office will review. The Capitol & Carolina internship is exclusive to Belmont Abbey College.