Students at Belmont Abbey College have the opportunity to pursue a course of study in fields outside of the major and other traditional majors/minors. A student, in consultation with both a minor advisor and the major advisor, may construct an interdisciplinary minor; the chosen courses will be organized around a coherent theme. Students wishing to pursue an interdisciplinary minor are required to:
- Obtain a minor advisor, typically a full-time member of the faculty from one of the disciplines included in the minor. This advisor will assist the student with issues pertaining to the interdisciplinary minor.
- Submit a one-page statement of interest describing the student’s motivation, intended coursework, and the unifying theme of the chosen courses. This statement of interest must be approved by the minor advisor, the student’s major advisor, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Approved statements of interest will be submitted to the Registrar; completed minors at the time of graduation will be noted on the final transcript.
- Complete no fewer than five courses and no more than seven courses in the minor. There may not be more than one course in the minor that is in the core curriculum or that is required by the student’s major; if applicable, this course must be at the 200-level or above.
- Choose courses in at least two, different academic disciplines for the minor.
- Select a maximum of two lower-division (100 or 200-level) courses for the minor.
- Complete and file the application for the minor with the Registrar before the final semester of study.
- Seek approval from the minor advisor, the major advisor, and the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for any exceptions to the course stipulations mentioned above.
- Submit an integrative paper (after all coursework for the minor has been completed) of at least one page that highlights the crossdisciplinary linkages relevant to the theme of the minor.
- Deliver the integrative paper to the minor advisor and to an appropriate second reader chosen in consultation with the minor advisor.
NOTE: Integrative papers will be graded on a pass/fail basis. The minor advisor will notify the Registrar when all requirements (including successful completion of the integrative paper) for the interdisciplinary minor have been satisfied.
It is the student’s responsibility to see that all degree requirements for graduation are fulfilled.