- classes combined from a variety of departments into a major program individualized to the student’s interests
You’ll enjoy studying Liberal Studies at the Abbey if you
- like working independently and creatively
- are disciplined and self-motivated in your studies
- a well-rounded approach that will prepare you to communicate effectively and work knowledgeably in any career environment
- an intentionally open-ended program so that you can best prepare yourself for your chosen career
Whatever discipline or combination of disciplines you choose to follow, your studies will be immersed in a liberal arts atmosphere promoting excellence and virtue in all things.
- a career in any field you choose to pursue
- graduate study in your area of interest
Largely a self-designed major, Belmont Abbey College’s Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Studies is designed to give students a solid liberal grounding to launch a career in any field.
The Abbey Difference:
The Liberal Studies major fosters students’ interests in a variety of disciplines, promotes a cross-disciplinary approach to their course of study, and reveals the ways in which such integration is fundamental to the Catholic, Benedictine liberal arts tradition. As we see in Ex Corde Ecclesiae, interdisciplinary studies, grounded in philosophy and theology, enable students to “develop a continuing desire for intellectual progress,” to grow in faith, and to become more aware of the dignity of human life, motivating them to work for God’s glory and for the benefit of their neighbor.
Highlights of your experience:
Liberal Studies Resources:
Dr. Beth Kreitzer – Director of Liberal Studies
B.A., Stanford University
M.A., Duke University
Ph.D., Duke University