Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions for Traditional Students

Do I have to be accepted for admission to Belmont Abbey College before I can apply for and be considered for financial aid?

Yes, you must be accepted for admission to BAC before you will be considered for financial aid.  However, you should not wait on the acceptance letter to apply for financial aid.  Complete the 2013-2014 application for financial aid as soon as possible after January 1.

Do I have to pay my tuition deposit before I can apply for and be considered for financial aid?

No, you do not have to pay your tuition deposit before applying for financial aid.  However, if you are offered a financial aid award package and accept the package, your tuition deposit must be paid in order for the awards to be reserved for you.

How do I apply for need-based financial aid at BAC?

Complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1, 2013.  Before completing the application, read the instructions carefully and complete the form according to the instructions.

You must use your and your parents’ 2012 tax information to complete parts of the application. You are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Process to import your 2012 tax data into the FAFSA.  However, if the tax returns have not been completed at the time you complete the application, you may use estimated figures.

You will be required to return to and use the IRS Data Retrieval process once your tax returns are completed.   Be certain to list Belmont Abbey College under the “College Release and Certification” section.  If you do not list BAC in this section, the Financial Aid Office will not have access to your data so that you may be considered for financial aid.

Where do I get the 2013-2014 application for financial aid?

You can access the application online at

If I need assistance in completing the financial aid application, where can I get help?

Contact the Belmont Abbey College Financial Aid Office at 704-461-6718.  We will be able to answer most of your questions over the telephone but you are always welcome to schedule an appointment.

What happens to the information I have submitted on the application and how long will it take to have the form processed?

The US Department of Education will calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) according to their Federal Methodology formula.

The parent’s income and assets (excluding the home) will be considered.  The student’s income and assets will also be considered.  The formula also takes into consideration the household size, the number of family members attending college and certain other allowances.  They will then send the student a Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating the student’s EFC.

The processing of the financial aid application will take approximately 72 hours or 3 business days.

If you have unusual financial circumstances, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at 704-461-6718 prior to completing the FAFSA.

What should I do if I am considering several institutions?

The FAFSA’s College Release and Certification section gives you the option of listing several colleges in which you are interested.  Make sure to put all of the correct Title IV Codes for those colleges on the FAFSA.

Does the processor of my financial aid application determine my eligibility for need-based financial aid and will they award financial aid?

No, determining eligibility and awarding financial aid is the responsibility of Belmont Abbey College.  That is why it is so important for you to list BAC under the College Release and Certification section of your financial aid application.

What is the cost of attendance?

The cost of attendance is an estimated amount a student may expect to pay during the academic year for tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses.

How does Belmont Abbey College determine my eligibility for need-based financial aid?

Once the Financial Aid Office receives your processed need analysis, your eligibility (demonstrated need) will be determined by subtracting the expected family contribution (EFC) from the cost of attendance.  If you have demonstrated need, you will be considered for the federal and state need-based programs.

How will I know if I have eligibility for need-based financial aid?

Five to fourteen days after the Belmont Abbey College financial aid office receives the student’s need analysis, the student will receive a tentative award letter listing the types and amount of aid the student may receive in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and work study from federal, state, and institutional programs.

Why will my award be tentative?

The Financial Aid Office of Belmont Abbey College is under federal regulations to verify the student’s and parents’ adjusted gross and untaxed incomes and any other possible discrepancies in information.  The Financial Aid Office will request the applicable tax transcripts and other required forms to complete this verification process.  The items listed above will be reviewed to check for the accuracy of the information supplied on the FAFSA.  Until this verification process has been completed, the award will remain tentative.

Will my final award be revised after the verification process has been completed?

If any of the items as listed in the question above have to be corrected during the verification process, the Financial Aid Office must obtain a new “official” EFC based on the corrections.  The award may increase or decrease once the new EFC has been determined by the Department of Education.  If there are any adjustments, the student will receive a revised award letter.

What will I receive from the Financial Aid Office if I do not have eligibility for need-based aid?

If you do not have eligibility for need-based aid, you will receive a listing of the student and parent loans available.

Do I have to re-apply for financial aid every year?

Yes, you must complete a renewal FAFSA each year as soon as possible after January 1 but prior to March 1.  Need-based financial aid is not carried forward from year to year.  You must re-apply every year that you attend college.

Are there academic/merit scholarships for which I may apply at Belmont Abbey College?

Yes, you may contact the admissions office to determine your eligibility to compete for an academic scholarship.

I don’t feel that I will qualify for need-based aid. Why should I apply for financial aid?

The Higher Education Amendments have established an unsubsidized loan program for students who do not qualify in whole or in part for the subsidized Federal Stafford Loan and/or for the unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan.