On Sept 13, 2015, President Obama signed into law new federal regulations the will impact your financial aid. The new regulations require families to use their income taxes from the year prior to the prior year, or the “prior prior year” to file. For example for the 2017-2018 FAFSA families will use the 2015 tax return.  The earlier submission date is a permanent change and enables you to submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as October 1.

Belmont Abbey College is encouraging all students to file their FAFSA’s as soon after October 1, 2016 as possible. Because you will have already done your taxes you won’t need to estimate tax information and then update the FAFSA later. You may also be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to automatically import tax information into our FAFSA. Finally, the earlier submission date should relieve some pressure and give you more time to explore your financial options.

For more information click here.

It is time to remind you to file your renewal FAFSA!

Steps to File Your FAFSA 

  1.  To file your renewal FAFSA simply have your PIN number ready and go to
  2.  If you don’t have your PIN number or need a new one, go to to get another PIN.
  3.  Since this is a renewal FAFSA most of the information will already be filled in for you.  Simply complete the required information.  You must use the IRS Data Retrieval Process for your parents and for you (if you filed a 2013 federal income tax return).  If you have not completed your 2013 tax return prior to completing your renewal FAFSA, you will be required to go back and correct your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Process when your taxes are completed.  Your financial aid will not be final until you retrieve your tax information from the IRS.  We are no longer allowed to accept copies of tax returns.

If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.  Our office hours are Monday, Thursday and Friday 8:00 am to 5:00pm, and Tuesday and Wednesday  8:00 am to 6:00 pm.  Our email address is:

More information

Traditional students

Homeschool students

Transfer students

Adult degree students

(Financial aid is not available for international students)