As a student at Belmont Abbey, Alum Thomas Yoder ‘18 majored in Mathematics and was the starting catcher for the baseball team.  Thomas was known for actively participating in the community of Belmont Abbey and is described by Dr. Igor Strugar, Mathematics Department Chair, as “one of the best and most mature young people I have had in my classroom.”  Now, less than a year since graduation, Yoder has embarked on a career as a commissioned officer in the US Navy. Thomas will be joining the highly selective Nuclear Propulsion Program with the U.S. Navy. The Navy only accepts 9% of applicants into this program, so this is an accomplishment worthy of acknowledgment and celebration.

Thomas says that he was initially reluctant to major in a liberal arts field like Mathematics for fear that it would limit his future options, but has since found that “my math degree has opened many doors and many opportunities in the future which most other majors could not offer.”

Thomas begins his career with Officer Candidate School and a year of training at the Nuclear Power School before beginning work on submarines focused on the nuclear-powered engines. After five years, Yoder will have the knowledge and experience equivalent to that of a Master’s Degree in Nuclear Engineering.

He exclaims, “I am really excited for this opportunity as it allows me to use my technical skills learned throughout college as well as give me an opportunity to be a leader and serve the country.” Thomas also offers thanks to all of his professors and mentors that helped him during his time at Belmont Abbey College.

Congratulations Thomas! We look forward to more great news!