Buie 4In 2017 Belmont Abbey College, the Gaston County Police Department, and Gaston County Schools announced the James Buie Scholarship Program which provides a full scholarship for selected students in pursuit of a Criminal Justice degree at Belmont Abbey College. The program supports two students each year over the next eight years.  Upon completion of their degree and qualifications of the Gaston County Police Department, the GCPD will offer the students full-time employment with the department for a period of not less than five years.

This year’s recipients are Mariah Jones and Luiz Baldizon-Montejo. Mariah Jones attends the Highland School of Technology. In her view: “I wasn’t expecting this. I did my internship here and I loved it. To get a scholarship to be able to work here it was really exciting.”

Luiz Baldizon-Montejo attends Hunter Huss High School and expresses “I was very excited to get this scholarship. It became a passion for me to become a police officer. I’m just very thankful and blessed to receive it.”

Dr. Julia Beeman sums it up best: “We are blessed to be able to support these young women as they pursue their career goals of law enforcement service. We want to thank Chief Ramey for his vision and leadership, and the Gaston County schools for their dedicated partnership in this endeavor.”

Buie
Buie 5
Buie 2