- The theoretical, practical and historical foundation to movement as an art form
You’ll enjoy the Abbey’s Dance Minor if you:
- Want to augment your chosen major with additional abilities of performance, communication, detail-oriented problem solving, critical thinking, collaboration, focus, and time management
- Want to be better prepared for multidisciplinary careers such as physical therapist, arts photographer, videographer, arts administration, stage and facility manager, critic, arts marketing and public relations, and costume designer
- Enjoy dance as a means of communication to glorify God and express your faith and joy through the art of movement
- The dance minor consists of 15 credit hours including technique classes in ballet, modern, tap, musical theater and ballroom. Student will also get the opportunity to perform each year in the Abbey Dance Showcase.
With a Dance Minor from Belmont Abbey College, students will be better prepared to enter a broad variety of career areas such as
- dance teacher
- physical therapy
- art administration
- arts marketing and public relations
- graduate school
The dance minor will also better prepare you for any career by enhancing the life skills necessary for personal and professional success.
The Abbey Difference:
The dance minor program provides a theoretical, practical and historical foundation to movement as an art form. Students will have the opportunity to perform, as well as create their own choreography, and develop technical skills that will deepen their understanding of dance as a medium. An emphasis is placed on the pedagogical, historic and aesthetic aspects of dance to enable students to articulate clearly their analysis of the field and their own work within it. The program is designed to enhance student preparedness for a number of multidisciplinary careers. Through observation and participation students can begin to understand how to utilize dance as a form of communication to glorify God as they express their faith and joy through the art of movement.