We’re a Yellow Ribbon School

At Belmont Abbey College, a Catholic, Benedictine, Liberal Arts institution we understand and value the sacrifices veterans make everyday for the freedoms our nation enjoys. That’s why we participate in the Federal Government’s Yellow Ribbon Program. Degree-granting institutions of higher learning participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. These institutions voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA and choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA matches that amount and issues payments directly to the institution. For Belmont Abbey College we provide an additional $1000 to veterans for their tuition costs which the federal government matches.

Here to serve.


Patricia Hedrick, Student Services Specialist and Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official, Patricia holds a bachelor’s degree in Accounting from Belmont Abbey College, and is a member of the NC Association of Coordinators of Veterans Affairs. Her primary goal is servicing students and making sure they have a rewarding and successful educational experience at Belmont Abbey College.

New Veteran Students

To be certified for education benefits through the VA please do the following:

  • Apply for Admission to Belmont Abbey College either through traditional admissions office or the Center for Continuing & Professional Studies (23 years old and older)
  • Apply for benefits through the U.S. Department of Education Veteran Affairs: and click on Apply for Benefits.
  • Register for classes at Belmont Abbey College
  • Have all high school and college transcripts on file. This is a VA requirement.

First Time Using Benefits
If you have never used your VA benefits at another school, go the and complete the applicable form below.

  • Chapter 33, 30, 1606 or 1607: Complete and submit Form 22-1990. If you apply for Chapter 33 benefits the VA will issue you a Certificate of Eligibility which will state the length of time and the percentage of benefits for which you have been approved. This form will also tell you if you are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Fax, Scan or mail one copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official. Fax # 704-461-6882, email address: or mail to Financial Aid Office, Belmont Abbey College, 100 Belmont Mt. Holly Rd, Belmont, NC 28012-1802
  • Chapter 35: Submit Form 22-5490

Benefits at Other Institutions
If you have used your benefits at another institution please complete the following:

  • Chapter 33, 30, 1606 or 1607: Submit Form 22-1995 (change of place of training) at
  • Chapter 35: Submit Form 22-5495 (dependents and survivors change of place of training)

Next Steps

Traditional-Aged Veteran Students

If you are a veteran and under 23 or a dependent under 23 using a parental benefit you will have even more options. Be sure to visit with your admissions counselor to learn more about what Belmont Abbey offers you. Or just visit our High School or Transfer Student sections of our website. If you’re a dependent visit this site to understand how to get your benefits.
military seals_grouped


Belmont Abbey College Student1“The first time I came to Belmont Abbey, I felt right at home. The staff made me feel like my time was important to them, and they did everything to help me with whatever I needed. I knew this was the place for me as soon as I stepped on campus. Here, you’re family.”

Jake Motz, 2018
Veteran, U.S. Army

Belmont Abbey College student3“I am excited to take advantage of everything Belmont Abbey College has to offer. It feels great to be a part of a college that understands the needs of all students, traditional and adult degree alike.”

Lakevia Goode, 2015
Veteran, U.S. Army

“Working with Belmont Abbey College has been a wonderful experience. They have been the most helpful college with getting my GI Bill going and getting me back into college and on the best path for my success. The staff is very professional, and go above and beyond for their students.”

Travis Rivelle, 2015
Veteran, U.S. Navy

Benefits ProgramsTools
Post 9/11 GI BILL - Chapter 33:
The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) -
You should use VONAPP if you are a U.S. military veteran, a service member on active duty, a member of the Selected Reserve, a spouse/dependent of a "service connected" disabled or deceased veteran, or a family member that has been approved to receive transferred benefits. If you have previously filed a claim for education benefits, use VONAPP only if you are filing for a different education benefit or if you are changing schools or programs under your current benefit program; for example, if you are eligible for two benefit programs, currently using one, but would like to begin using the other benefit program.
Transfer of Post 9/11 GI BILL Benefits to Dependents - Chapter 33 TEB:
For the first time in history, service members enrolled in the Post – 9/11 GI GILL program are able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children.
Chapter 33 Benefit Estimator -
Disclaimer: This calculator is intended only to provide you with an estimate. The only way to actually determine the benefits you are entitled to is to submit an application to the VA.
Montgomery GI BILL - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30:
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.
Compare the Programs -
If you are eligible for another benefit program, as well as, the Post 9/11 GI BILL – Chapter 33, you should review the side-by-side comparison of benefits under each program.
Montgomery GI BILL-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606:
The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
WAVE - Web Automated Verification of Enrollment -
All students who are receiving either the MGIB-AD Chapter 30 or MGIB-SR Chapter 1606/1607 MUST verify their enrollments each month in order to receive payment. This verification can be completed on the last day of the month by using the automated telephone system (IVR) at 1-877-823-2378 or visiting the WAVE application through the VA Website.
Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)- Chapter 1607:
REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a new benefit providing educational assistance to members of the reserve components - Selected Reserve (SR) and Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) - who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.
Survivors and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) - Chapter 35:
DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits.
Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32:
EAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.
Federal Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) - Chapter 31:
Any veteran with a compensable disability rating of 10% or more is invited to file an application for Vocational Rehabilitation by completing VA Form 28-1900 and submitting it to your local VA Office: Winston-Salem Regional Office, Federal Building, 251 N. Main ST, Winston – Salem, NC 27155.

Click here to request more info and get started today!

Apply Now

Yes, I want to get my degree.

Get the support you need at Belmont Abbey College.
Apply Now