Our mission is to educate students in the liberal arts and sciences so that in all things God may be glorified. In this endeavor, we are guided by the Catholic intellectual tradition and the Benedictine spirit of prayer and learning. Exemplifying Benedictine hospitality, we welcome a diverse body of students and provide them with an education that will enable them to lead lives of integrity, to succeed professionally, to become responsible citizens, and to be a blessing to themselves and to others.
By excellence and virtue, we mean the skills, attitudes and stable dispositions of character that make possible the consistent practice of the good throughout the full range of human pursuits (scholarly, professional, community, personal). Recognizing that each field has its own standards of excellence, we strive to achieve them, led by St. Benedict’s desire “that in all things God may be glorified.”
As a Benedictine institution, we find this glory especially revealed in the development of the whole person, guided by the liberal arts, as a responsible steward of the true, the beautiful, and the good. We welcome the talents of everyone, from any background and tradition, who is committed to fostering that development and contributing to the mission of the college. To the members of the Belmont Abbey College community, we offer an environment and community animated by this vision where they may work towards their own full potential.
Major Institutional Objectives:
- Embrace and instill the habit of excellence and virtue in all that we do.
- Foster the development of each member of the Belmont Abbey College community as a total person in keeping with the Rule of St. Benedict.
- Provide our students with a liberal arts education that prepares them–mind, body and spirit–to pursue the good for themselves and their communities.
- Share the richness of our Catholic and Benedictine identity through college activities and communications so that we may inspire others to become part of the worldwide Belmont Abbey College community.
The Benedictine Hallmarks
Central to the Benedictine life at Belmont Abbey College are the ten “Hallmarks” of Benedictine Life. Students, faculty, staff and visitors participate in these pillars of the Benedictine spirituality.
Download the Benedictine Hallmarks
Our Alma Mater (To the Tune of Ode to Joy)
- Gather we from far flung places
Loyal in the Bond we share;
Friends of Abbey ever splendorous
Gallant spirits proudly bear.
Voices raised on high are singing
Bells are chiming to proclaim
Alma Mater! Belmont Abbey!
Sacred do we hold your name.
- Dear to us the Vast expanse
Of skies that arch your crimson sod;
Dear your mighty spire lifted
Like our hearts to honor God
Let your truth shine forth unfailing.
Let all know your beauty rare.
Hail! O Abbey, Alma Mater
Hear your praises fill the air