Welcome to the Wellness Center!
We provide free and confidential Health and Counseling Services to our traditional students
We are located in the rear lower level of The Haid Theatre Building
Open Monday-Friday 9:00 am-4:30 pm
Last appointment 4:00 pm
Call 704-461-6877 to make an appointment or stop by!
Health Services treat a wide variety of injuries and acute illnesses.
Students are encouraged to come to the Wellness Center for any issues.
If you have any question whether or not we can help you, please stop by the Wellness Center or call us. Most likely we will be able to help you, but if we can’t, we can direct you to a local family practice, Urgent Care or Emergency Room if necessary.
Melanie Eckstein, FNP-BC Director of Health Services (Mon, Wed, Thurs)
Tina Morgan, Administrative Assistant & Front Desk
Sue Stipanovic RN, BSN, College Nurse
- Allergy symptoms, cold and sinus symptoms, sore throat, ear pain, pink eye
- Asthma, cough, bronchitis
- Rashes and dermatitis
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- IV replacement if needed
- Headaches and dizziness
- Urinary tract infections
- Neck pain, back pain, sprains and strains
- Insect bites and bee stings, cuts, abrasions, etc.
- Laceration repair
- Flu shots
**Please allow yourself time to see us–don’t come in 5-10 minutes before a class. Please attend your classes first unless you have a fever or other significant concern. Expect to be in the Wellness Center about an hour.
*Be aware that we don’t give absence excuses for missed classes. Students must notify their professors if they need to miss a class due to illness.
Local Emergency Departments:
- Caromont Regional Medical Center- Gastonia 704-834-8500
2525 Court Dr., Gastonia, NC 28054
- Caromont Regional Medical Center- Mt. Holly (free standing ER) 980-834-2266
451 E. Charlotte, Ave., Mt. Holly, NC 28210
Local Urgent Care:
- Carolinas HealthCare System Urgent Care- Belmont 704-631-1820
Open daily 8:00am-8:00pm
420 Park St., Suite 105
Belmont, NC 28012
*Students are responsible for obtaining their own transportation if they need health services off campus.
*Students are responsible for any bills generated at off-campus health facilities.
Important Telephone Numbers
- Emergency/Ambulance/Fire: 911
- Wellness Center: 704-461-6877
- Counseling Center: 704-461-5081
- Campus Safety: 704-461-6200
- Poison Control of North Carolina: 1-800-848-6946
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
- Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Counseling Services, which includes two licensed counselors on staff professional counselor on staff, are free and confidential. Concerns that students may bring to counseling may include, but are not limited to: Bereavement/loss, depression, homesickness and college adjustment, psycho-education, relationship issues, stress and anxiety, stress management, and substance use issues. Some student issues may require an outside referral. Appropriate referrals will be determined and made in these cases.
Christie Simons, MAMFT, LPC, LCAS Director of Counseling
Jenn Cooney MTS-Counseling, LPC Counselor