Writing Major

Writing Major
May 16, 2023

Author: The Crusader Staff Writer Hannah Schudlik

Belmont Abbey provides its students with several academic opportunities with around thirty majors and forty-eight minors. Declaring a minor at Belmont Abbey College allows students to study things that interest them on a personal level. So, whether or not a minor correlates to your future career, it may pique your interest and enhance your qualifications in a vast number of professions. Amongst the lengthy list of minor programs, the Abbey offers a minor in Writing.

The Writing minor is versatile for anyone who wishes to declare it. Students must complete fifteen credits in various English classes to earn the minor. Some of these courses include Creative Writing, Social Media Writing, Editing and Writing for Publication, History of the English Language, Newspaper Production, etc. Although the classes are subject to change and may vary per semester, students can see that a minor in writing entails loads of creativity.

As a writing minor myself, I can speak on the benefits of taking English courses. Classes like Professional and Technical Writing and Editing and Writing for Publication, have strengthened my communication skills and taught me how to write in a professional setting. Upon completing these courses, I have been able to improve and add to my resume. Newspaper Production and Writing for Social Media allowed me to implement creativity into my writing and understand how to write for different areas. The environment in these types of classes is professional and activity-based. After a period of lecturing, students often complete in-class assignments and peer-edit their classmates’ work – fostering their ability to edit papers and communicate with others.

Dr. Erin Jensen is the faculty advisor of the college newspaper and coordinates the Writing minor program. Recently, the college has opened a Writing Center to assist students in becoming better writers. Students that are pursuing English majors or Writing minors typically work as tutors in the Center, where they edit papers and help fellow students succeed.

If you’re interested in improving your communication skills, developing your ability to effectively make an argument, and gaining qualifications for future employment, consider minoring in Writing!

This article was originally posted in the Spring 2023, Issue 3 of The Crusader NewspaperDownload the full issue here.