Teacher Appreciation Week: Alumna Felicia Wilson

May 6, 2024

We’re kicking off Teacher Appreciation Week by highlighting Abbey alums making a difference in local schools!

Our first feature is Felicia Wilson, an alumna of Belmont Abbey, graduating in both 2010 and 2023! She’s currently a second-grade teacher at Reedy Creek Elementary in Charlotte, NC.

1. What do you love about teaching?

The joy that teaching brings to my soul is immeasurable. There are moments of highs and lows, but that is typical in all professions. However, unlike many professions, I have an opportunity to change the future. In my classroom, I could have the next President of the United States, the next greatest scientist or one of the first pioneers to land on Mars. The possibilities are infinite and it all begins in my classroom. How amazing is that!!!

The other side to that are the hilarious and the profound things the students say and do. They may be only 7 or 8 years old, but they view the world with innocent eyes and unfiltered words and thoughts…and that’s the joy.

2. How did the Education department at BAC help you develop as a teacher?

One word, “amazing,” describes the BAC Education department. Everyone at BAC was invested in my success as an educator. They all make you feel supported and prepared to enter the classroom. Seasoned teachers at my school assumed that I had been teaching for years because I am organized, prepared, classroom management is consistent and in place, I have positive relationships with my scholars and their parents/caregivers and I use technology, music and art with different assignments to add meaning and depth to the lessons. All of those things, I learned from the BAC Education department. When I walked into the classroom last August as a licensed teacher, I was confident, ready and excited to teach. All of it was due to the BAC Education department.

3. What is your advice to Abbey students pursuing an Education degree?

Being a teacher is a powerful gift to our community. You will probably never know or see the entire impact (good or bad) that you made in a student’s life. So be gentle, be understanding, and approach each day with an open mind and an open heart, because your words and actions have great power.

Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication, Felicia! We’re honored to be your alma mater!