Amara Guitry Performs At Abbey

Amara Guitry Performs At Abbey
December 23, 2022

Author: The Crusader Staff Writer, Anna Sims

On the 26th of September, 2022, Amara Guitry performed rarely heard sonatas at the Belmont Abbey College Basilica. Guitry is a music teacher at the Abbey and she performed in the Basilica in order to demonstrate her skills outside the classroom as well as provide some free musical education.

I was privileged to hear the talented flutist Amara Guitry accompanied by pianist and harpsichordist Lillian Pearson. The pursuit of these two remarkable women was to revive a forgotten love for classical artists and to share these once popular musical pieces with as many people as possible. Guitry also kept the audience engaged by giving historical background on the different flutes she used throughout the performance. In all I found it quite enjoyable and would love to attend the next concert.

Between pieces, Guitry would give a complete and extremely interesting background on the different flutes. Audience and former flutist Amber described the production as “Absolutely lovely and extremely interesting.” She also said, “I loved that I was never bored. The history of the different instruments was so fascinating.”

In addition to the beautiful flute, Pearson created a fantastic atmosphere with her skill on the harpsichord. She seemed to be able to sweep up the audience and carry them into the Middle Ages. It was a joy to experience this, and I hope to see more students at these events in the future.

This article was originally posted in the Fall 2022, Issue 1 of The Crusader Newspaper. Download the full issue.