Interviewing Lindsay Wolcott

Interviewing Lindsay Wolcott
December 9, 2022

Author: The Crusader Staff Writer, Jose Hernandez

Join us in welcoming the new Coordinator of Campus Visit Experiences and Abbey Advocates, Lindsay Wolcott. Lindsay is originally from Long Island, New York, where she attended and graduated from the University of Buffalo in 2020 with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, and Early Childhood Development. Along with earning a minor in Counseling, she then earned her Master’s in Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration at Canisius College in 2022.

How did you hear about Belmont Abbey and what made you decide to take on the position?
My brother attended Belmont Abbey College, and was a student athlete here. Being 7 years younger than him, I often joined my parents for road trips to the Abbey to see him. Having spent so much time here at the Abbey, the campus always felt like home to me. When looking for a job, I saw that there was a position at Belmont Abbey in my field, and the decision to come back here and closer to my family was very easy for me.

What were some other experiences (whether it be jobs, volunteer work, or internships) that you believe are applicable to the admissions team?
I always had a passion for helping prospective students find their home and unique college life. I recently graduated with my masters in higher education and student affairs administration. During my graduate studies, I completed a two-year graduate assistantship in accessibility services and two graduate internships in student life; one in fraternity and sorority life, and another in new student orientation. All of my hands-on experiences in the field of higher education have given me the opportunity to work closely with students, create events on a college campus, and more. Working admissions gives me the opportunity to utilize each of these skills in new and exciting ways.

What are some hobbies you enjoy doing outside of work?
I love spending time with my friends and family. Moving to a new city has allowed me the chance to explore new shops, areas, restaurants, and more. I also love cooking and trying new recipes, and getting to share that with my loved ones as well!

When you feel like you’re in a slump, what motivates you to push through?
Whenever I feel like I’m in a slump I always try to take a moment for a deep breath to reset. I try to remind myself that everyone goes through slumps and has hard days, and that it’s okay to take a moment to reset. I find that when I take a moment for myself and give myself time to rest, I can revisit my work with a clear head and ready to push through the rest of the day.

Are there any mottos/philosophies that you implement in your life?
The motto I like to keep in my is that everything happens for a reason. I am a firm believer that anything that happens in my life is meant to be a test, and not to stress on little things. I try my best to not hold onto every small inconvenience, just know that the inconvenience that I received has a purpose and reason behind it. With this motto, it helps me to look on the bright side, that something better is out there for me.

The Abbey Advocates is student-driven, meaning the bulk of the work is put onto the students that work for you. How do you feel you can be a guide for them, and help push them to be better leaders within the program?
I feel that I can guide the Abbey Advocates through my own experiences as a student leader during college, but also through encouraging them through all they do on campus. I have already seen the Advocates show their leadership skills, and so I do my best to provide them with the material and support they need. The Abbey Advocates do so much to support the admissions office, and it’s an amazing experience to work with these students who are filling the roles as leaders within the office.

This is your first year with the Abbey as a Coordinator, joining a staff of experienced faculty who know the school inside and out. What are traits/virtues you believe could help you stand out from the rest of your coworkers?
I believe that I have a drive to not only do the best I can do, but also to anything I set my mind to. I have always been a very motivated person with the desire to reach any goal I set for myself. Being the youngest person in my graduate program, I feel that I can prove to the rest of my coworkers that I belong in this position.

And now for an ice breaker question, what is your go-to song to sing in the car?
My go-to song is Mr. Perfectly Fine (Taylor’s Version) by Taylor Swift!

If you are interested to learn more about the Abbey Advocate program, or you know someone who may be interested to learn more about the school, contact Lindsay at lindsaywolcott@bac.edu.

This article was originally posted in the Fall 2022, Issue 2 of The Crusader Newspaper. Download the full issue.