A Mothers Home Away From Home

A Mothers Home Away From Home
February 27, 2023

Author: The Crusader Staff Writer, Grace Mitchell

Belmont Abbey is one of only two colleges in the United States that offers expectant mothers enrolled in any long-term college home and 24-hour support. All right here on our campus. This pro-life ministry is called MiraVia, and it is truly one-of-a-kind. Women from any walk of Life who find themselves pregnant and want to begin or continue their college career are welcomed with open arms. They have full access to the many resources until their child turns two. 

MiraVia offers their residents so many incredible services. Free room-and-board with a private suite, three meals a day, and any extra necessities of mother and baby. Necessities such as personal care products, diapers, formula, and clothes are provided. Counseling and support are available 24 hours a day; the staff is always ready to assist with any needs. The women can be enrolled in any form of higher education in any school of their choice and still receive the program’s many benefits. Although Abbot Placid graciously offers any student of Belmont Abbey a full scholarship for the duration of their stay at MiraVia.

Not only are women given a safe place to live, free of charge, but they are also encouraged to utilize the free, daily childcare to work and/or take classes. A former resident and Abbey graduate says, “when I found out I was pregnant, my biggest fear was how I was going to finish college. I am the first in my family to go to college and graduate, so it was a big deal. MiraVia was the reason I was able to stay in school. Thank you for all of the love
and support you’ve given to me.”  

There is no shortage of women who would benefit greatly from a program like this. Students for Life recently stated that 1 in 5 college students are pregnant or have children. Our very own college is making a profound impact on these women and children who often have nowhere else to turn. If you know of anyone who is expecting and in need of support, have them reach out to 704-602-4806 or info@miraiva.org. MiraVia also offers material support to mothers in need, even if they do not live in the facility, so please share this information with anyone you think could use it. 

This article was originally posted in the Fall 2022, Issue 1 of The Crusader NewspaperDownload the full issue.