What I Wish I Knew as a Freshman

What I Wish I Knew as a Freshman
February 26, 2023

Author: The Crusader Staff Writer, Madison Teachman

As a senior, I’ve learned a lot in these four short years. I wanted to share some things I wish I had known as a freshman, from relationships to academics and everything.

First and foremost, that high-school sweetheart relationship probably won’t work out; if it does, it may not work out as you had hoped. Any friend that came into college while in a relationship would agree; that sometimes things are better off left on a good note instead of forcing the boundaries of the relationship to stretch. Your romantic relationships aren’t the only ones I’m referring to – you’ll also make different friends than you had in high school because many of them have spread out across the country, and the dynamics have changed- and that is okay!

When you make those new friends at freshman orientation, it may feel like those have to be your friends for the rest of your college years – which is untrue.No one I know is still friends with their original group (even if they are all in the same team) and that’s perfectly normal! If you feel overwhelmed or stressed that you aren’t fitting in with your original orientation friends, get involved with something on campus to find people with similar interests.

I was a covid freshman, meaning my first year was mainly spent on Zoom, and I struggled to find my niche here on campus. Since I wasn’t on an athletic team, I felt my options for getting involved were limited. However, I have since realized that I just needed to get more involved in all the other clubs and groups that are available on campus.

As you get into the college, you realize that many of the people in your classes will continue to be for the remainder of your time here, and those are great people to surround yourself with. As much anxiety as the Crusader Involvement Fair is, it is a great way to get your name on the mailing lists for different clubs (most of which are excited to have new members attend and are excited to see more engagement). If you missed the Involvement Fair- don’t be afraid to contact student activities or your professors to learn more. Even if you don’t want to be in the club, every organization on campus puts together activities you can attend and make friends through (especially your RA’s- who do programs once a month catered towards building community and relationships). 

Lastly, I wish I had known not to stress so much initially. Your classes will still be there tomorrow (every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.) The library isn’t scary- it’s a calming place to complete all those hours of reading (that you really should do). Teachers are rooting for you. Ask about classes and majors, find clubs to join, try different food at the Caf, and don’t be afraid to ask a stranger if you can sit with them. Chances are, they’ll accept you, and it is that easy. One of the best things about the Abbey is how much of a community it is- but you can’t engage with the community if you don’t put yourself out there.

This article was originally posted in the Fall 2022, Issue 1 of The Crusader NewspaperDownload the full issue.