Women Soccer Alum Returns to Coach

Women Soccer Alum Returns to Coach
February 18, 2023

Author: The Crusader Staff Writer, Reagan Cullen

Cierra Skyers, former alumni of the Belmont Abbey women’s soccer team, has returned this 2022 season to help coach the team, along with Coaches Mike Lynch and Jaime Malilong. Skyers graduated from the Abbey in 2016. She juggles her time as a coach whilst working as a 5th-grade teacher at Jackson Day School. If her name doesn’t sound familiar, her face might as she is pictured on one of the billboards that surround Alumni stadium field. Skyers played as a forward on the field for the Crusaders. 

During her four years here, she left quite a mark on the program. She scored 33 goals, was selected for the All-Southeast Region Second Team, and was named the team’s most valuable player. After graduating from BAC, she went on to play for The Citadel for a season, where she scored seven more goals. Being on the Women’s soccer team myself, I had the pleasure of getting to know and personally interview the former alum to discuss her memories as a former player and as a coach now.

During our interview, I was able to learn a lot about Skyers and the Women’s soccer program over the years. It was both comforting and heartwarming to discuss her favorite memories she had whilst being a crusader soccer player. I found that in the four years, she was here, most of the team’s traditions have remained the same.

Along with personally interviewing her, I had some of my teammates ask her questions about what she enjoys most about returning to the crusader soccer environment, in which she responded, “It feels like returning home after a long time away.” She proceeded to tell the team how she was nervous that her young age would affect how we saw her but felt very respected and welcomed. She stated that “even though being a teacher and coach at once can be a lot to handle, she has become very invested in the team and program,” allowing her love for the sport to consume her once again.

Skyers continues to leave an even bigger mark on the program through her continuous positivity and dedication as a coach. The players and I were able to open up and see an even deeper side of Skyers that I hope will create a special player-coach relationship. It is apparent that Skyers has a deep connection with this school and program and has really influenced the women’s soccer team.

This article was originally posted in the Fall 2022, Issue 2 of The Crusader NewspaperDownload the full issue.